bond between concrete and rebar

05-Future developments & requests
Muntasir

bond between concrete and rebar

Post by Muntasir »

Hi,

Is it possible to include the effect of bond between rebars and concrete (bond-slip mechanism) in future versions of seismostruct?

Regards
Muntasir
salar

Re: bond between concrete and rebar

Post by salar »

it is the one of the most important case in accuracy of modeling.seismostruct doesn't have it.
i used bond effect in sharifi paper that indicate well realation which E changed to Eeq and the result gets much better.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-94 ... 34:6(1061)

TUC

Post by TUC »

Interesting issue, but maybe it is difficult for a program to include to many specific topics..
If the yielding stress of rebars will be reduced (as it is suggested in some codes, I think in FEMA too) the issue won't be covered in a way?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Yes, as Salar mentioned, and as discussed in other posts, reducing the Young's modulus of the steel (not necessarily the yield strength) should allow one to reasonably and approximately model the bond-slip effect.

Seismosoft Support
TUC

Post by TUC »

May i ask if the simplified method of including the bond effect that we have already discussed here (i.e by using an equivalent value of yielding stress or Young's modulus) can be used in FB Elements with fiber section too?
As far as i know this is used in case of modeling lumped plasticity (i.e plastic hinges with non-linear springs/links). Could the materials of fibers be modified (apropriate reduced values) in order these effects to be taken in to account?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear TUC,

Yes, reducing the E value of your rebar material in a fibre element should, in an approximate fashion, allow you to somehow represent bond slip.

As usual, we recommend you to "experiment" with your models, varying parameters of relevance or pertinence, and observing the resulting behaviour (and comparing it to experimental/literature results, when available), in order to check the effects of your different modelling options or assumptions.

Seismosoft Support
salar

Post by salar »

Dear TUC
about your question,yes i modeled the frame by ABAQUS and seismostruct the check the Eeq(sharifi's paper)and it get well accuracy in my models.
TUC

Post by TUC »

Thank you support, salar.

Salar, i will try to find the mentioned paper, sounds interesting..

Return to “05-Future developments & requests”