Inputing Processed Ground Motion Records

02-Analytical capabilities
Kirkaguel

Inputing Processed Ground Motion Records

Post by Kirkaguel »

Hi Technical Support,

Is there a way we can input a processed ground motion in text files for amplitude scaling and which command should we be able to do this?

Thanks
seismosoft

Re: Inputing Processed Ground Motion Records

Post by seismosoft »

You can perform direct amplitude scaling of a ground motion with SeismoSignal.
Seismosoft Support
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

Sorry if I miss something here I thought Seismosignal can only be used for processing of the original raw data of recorded ground motion and will not do any scaling to a target design spectrum? That is why I tried it with Seismoselect to do the amplitude scaling so that I can get the speficific scale factor that will match with my target design spectrum. The raw data is not coming from PEER or ESM database but a simple text file of time-acceleration 2-column format.

Any solution?
huffte

Post by huffte »

You may need to develop your own spreadsheet calculations to do scaling of records not in the SeismoSelect database if you are interested in amplitude scaling (probably the preferred method in practice most of the time) , as opposed to spectral matching with wavelets in the time domain (SeismoMatch) or by manipulation of the Fourier spectrum in the frequency domain (SeismiArtif). The procedure is not difficult. Equations to compute the scale factor are relatively simple and may be found in the literature.
Tim Huff
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

huffte wrote: 08 May 2022, 22:00 You may need to develop your own spreadsheet calculations to do scaling of records not in the SeismoSelect database if you are interested in amplitude scaling (probably the preferred method in practice most of the time) , as opposed to spectral matching with wavelets in the time domain (SeismoMatch) or by manipulation of the Fourier spectrum in the frequency domain (SeismiArtif). The procedure is not difficult. Equations to compute the scale factor are relatively simple and may be found in the literature.
Hi Tim the records are coming from our government earthquake record database which is equivalent to USGS and the reason why we chose to use amplitude scaling is because it is considerered as near fault location within 3 km distance from the source fault and spectral matching is prohibited for near fault site. I would suggest an improvement to seismoselect that it should be able to read any input not coming from PEER or ESM database with the format of the input similar to seismosignal or seismomatch that it can read any format i.e. two column format of time-acceleration pair.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Kirkaguel,

SeismoSelect selects records from the NGA and ESM databased that match a given target spectrum. Because the selection is based on the flat files of the databases, there is no possibility of applying direct amplitude scaling before the selection. After you download the records from the databases, a direct scaling can be performed either with SeismoSignal or by a spreadsheet program as Tim suggested.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”