lrb based isolation modelling unexpected displacement

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
ramazanoruc

lrb based isolation modelling unexpected displacement

Post by ramazanoruc »

Hello everybody,
I modeled a reinforced concrete frame system whose support system is lrb base isolation. As a result of dynamic analyze, the behavior of the superstructure was unexpected. (i mean the displacement difference between node 631 and node 031 was 20 cm.). Can someone help me to solve this problem? The file is attached as a google drive link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MnXlu ... F1LxaQ9zNu
seismosoft

Re: lrb based isolation modelling unexpected displacement

Post by seismosoft »

What do you mean unexpected? Unexpected because of the large deformations?
With such a large record (more than 0.4g) and with a base isolated structure 20cm is not a very large drift.
Note also that your gravity loads (and hence your inertia forces) seem to be relatively large, almost 6000kN in 5 columns.
Seismosoft Support
huffte

Post by huffte »

I agree with the comments from SeismoSoft, ramazanoruc. I would also add that the post-yield stiffness ratio of your isolation devices is extremely high (0.654). Typical LRB isolators have post-yield stiffness around 0.100. If you are modeling a particular LRB with high post-yield stiffness, then the effectiveness may be hindered by such. If you are modeling typical isolators, I would recommend re-checking your post-yield stiffness calculations to verify their correctness or reduce if an error is found.
Tim Huff
ramazanoruc

Post by ramazanoruc »

Thank you for all replies. I fixed it as you said.

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”