Related restraint type

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Akash bhagat

Related restraint type

Post by Akash bhagat »

Hi everyone,
I'm facing a problem at the time of providing restraints. So my question is What restraint type to be used in a pinned support for slave node and master node.

Akash Bhagat
Tezpur University
huffte

Re: Related restraint type

Post by huffte »

It is not clear why you need a pinned node to have master and slave node designations. A pinned node should have the appropriate rotational degrees of freedom released and the translational degrees of freedom fixed. It may be that you are having trouble distinguishing between a constraint (which does require master and slave node designations) and a restraint (a support node). Or, I may be missing something myself.
Tim Huff
Akash bhagat

Post by Akash bhagat »

Actually I'm trying to make another adjacent to the pinned node so that eccentric loading can be applied on the column. For that reason I wanted, what restraint to given to these nodes.

Akash Bhagat
huffte

Post by huffte »

If I understand correctly, you wish to apply an axial load eccentric with respect to the column centroid. I suppose you could use a very rigid element (large Young's modulus, area, and moment of inertia) with length equal to the desired eccentricity. This would eliminate the need for constraints. Or, this very short element could be a link-type with large specified stiffness for all degrees of freedom.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

You could use a rigid link (Constraints tab), and you can set which DOFs are to be fixed.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”