Shear wall modelling

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
z.gronti

Re: Shear wall modelling

Post by z.gronti »

Dear mbeneldjouzi,

In SeismoStruct, with the exception of the Building Modeller facility, you have to define the nodes and the elements that are connected to specific nodes.
I am not sure that I understand where you used the equal DOF or the meaning of the "seem detached". What I was trying to tell you with the subdivision of P1 element and its connection with the wall element is that instead of having one P1 element connected to nodes N4 and N5, you should create the P1(1) element connected to nodes N4 and NV2 and the P1(2) element connected to nodes NV2 and N5. I hope that this is clear for you now.
You may also assign the rigid links to connect the wall with the columns, as I already said in my previous post.
Finally, if you are not familiar with the use of SeismoStruct, I would propose you to view the video tutorials, available in Seismosoft's YouTube channel. You may also create a similar model with the help of the Building Modeller facility, so as you will be able to check for the proper element connectivity.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

Dear z.grouti

Although I am not using SeismoBuild, I am having difficulty with modelling a masonry building in SeismoStruct 2020, is there anyways I can be assisted?
Thank you.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

you may download free sample masonry models from our models' database:
https://seismosoft.com/seismobuild-seis ... le-models/
Seismosoft Support
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

I have already checked the free masonry sample models, which helped to a certain extent. I however noticed rigid links were assigned to top nodes of the wall sections. Can you explain why they were added in addition to the constraints for a rigid diaphragm behaviour? I am modelling a single storey building with a flexible wooden diaphragm. However the wall sections above the window and door openings are causing me to have an error when running the analysis.
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

I added rigid links and I was able to run the analysis.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

There are no rigid links, there are element offsets that model the rigid area of the wall-spandrel joint.
Note the in the '2-STOREY MASONRY BUILDING' model the the part of the concrete slab between the masonry walls is also modelled.
Seismosoft Support
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

The model you made reference to has both rigid links and rigid diaphragm constraints and indeed has concrete slabs at each level. How would you recommend that I connect the piers (vertical wall sections) and horizontal wall sections in my model as without connecting with rigid links I receive an error in the eigenvalue analysis indicating that the structure is not connected. I received no error, however, when I connected the nodes of the vertical and horizontal wall sections with rigid links. My structure is different to the tutorial model as it has a single storey and a ring (bond beam) at the roof level connecting the walls together and supports a timber framed roof.
My structure is currently disjointed as shown from the eigenvalue analysis:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnZaCHL2N2lYklKIMQRPQ0ucOB3r
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

All your parts of your model need to be connected to each other, according to the physical properties of the structure you want to model, e.g. a beam without any connection to the adjacent walls or columns cannot obviously stand. Similarly, if you have a beam or a spander not connected to the rest of the structure, you will not be able to run any analysis.
Seismosoft Support
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

Yes this is my thinking also. I decided to start with a smaller problem, which is just to model a short wall with two openings and a ring or bond beam spanning over its entire length above the wall piers, prior to the huge building problem. I am really unable to get the piers to connect to the beam and behave as I would anticipate.
This is what I would like to model:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnZaCHL2N2lYkmI2Z9JGasI41cmV
This is a skeleton of my model in SeismoStruct:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnZaCHL2N2lYkmMehHtDKPnQajmI
I am unable to get an error free static pushover analysis. Can you please advise as I am apparently not capturing some pertinent connection? Or are you allowed to check the model?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

In this type of problem, you need to connect your masonry walls with the RC beams. The nodes should be at the axis of the wall element, whilst the area of the junction of the masonry wall & the RC beam should be modelled with the elements rigid offsets. A good way of understanding this offsets issu is to model a small RC building with SeismoStruct's Building Modeller (there the offsets of the beams are calculated automatically).
All the same, note that generally such issues regarding the modelling of particular building(s) are better discussed with your supervisor.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”