Shear wall modelling

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
mbeneldjouzi

Shear wall modelling

Post by mbeneldjouzi »

Hi
I would like to know what are the basic steps to model shear wall within a frame element
Regards
z.gronti

Re: Shear wall modelling

Post by z.gronti »

Dear mbeneldjouzi,

You may find information on how to insert a wall in SeismoBuild's User Manual and Help System.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
mbeneldjouzi

Post by mbeneldjouzi »

thanks z.gronti, I will do so, in fact, I tried successfully to insert wall into frame, but it seems that one has to connect walls to frames through rigid links, it is what I did but it did not work
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear mbeneldjouzi,

If the wall's length is from one column to the other, then the wall is automatically connected through rigid ends to these columns.
I am not sure that I understand what you mean by it did not work. If you select the "Show FE model" in the basic display settings of the 3D view of the model, you will be able to view the assigned rigid ends.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
mbeneldjouzi

Post by mbeneldjouzi »

once again thanks a lot z.gronti for the reply
yes the wall's length is from one column to the other, but in pushover analysis, the frame deformed without the wall which did not suffer any deformation nor displacement and appeared disconnected from the frame, that is the reason I concluded that the model does not work
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear mbeneldjouzi,

Have you selected the "Show FE model", as I suggested you in my previous post, to check for the wall's correct assignment?
If you are not able to figure out if it is properly connected, you may send me your project at z.gronti@seismosoft.com to take a look at it.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear mbeneldjouzi,

The model is created with SeismoStruct and not with SeismoBuild, is it correct? You should check your model's element connectivity more carefully. For example, the element V1 is not connected with element P1. I would suggest you to subdivide the P1 so that you could link the elements properly.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
mbeneldjouzi

Post by mbeneldjouzi »

Dear z.gronti
I subdivided the P elements but the pb remains the same
do you advise to use rigid-link element in order to link s/walls to beams and columns and what is the manner to do that
Regards
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear mbeneldjouzi,

Have you connected the V1 element with the new node (created through the subdivision of element P1)? Please note that all the wall elements in your model are not connected with the beam elements, hence they are not connected with the columns.

Of course, you may use rigid links to connect the walls with the columns. Rigid links may be added within the Contraints tab.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
mbeneldjouzi

Post by mbeneldjouzi »

Dear z.gronti
I thought that by dividing the P1 element, link between P1 and wall is automatically created!
I made connections through equal DOF, but in this case and during the pushover analysis, only the new P1 and s/wall nodes are connected, the other parts of the wall seem detached from the P1 element. Is that right?
Kind regards

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”