Double section

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
ehsanhami

Double section

Post by ehsanhami »

Good day
There is no double section in seismostruct version 2016 for IPE, HEB and many other steel sections.
If we want to model a double section, should we use rigid links between two single sections to make it like double ? If yes, how many of nods in the two single elements should be linked together by rigid link? I mean how many parts should the elements be divided to ?
Thank you.
huffte

Re: Double section

Post by huffte »

I suppose there is nothing to prevent you from having coincident elements, without the need for rigid links. However, note that coincident members - with or without rigid links - is very different from two sections bolted or welded together to create a single composite section.

If you simply have two IPE or HEB sections side by side, the above strategy should work without the rigid links it seems. In the event that 2 such sections are connected together over their entire lengths - which seems a bit unusual - I'm not sure the above strategy would be the best solution.
Tim Huff
ehsanhami

Post by ehsanhami »

why unusual ? we use many of double sections which are connected over their length.
I don t think two coincident elements behave like a double section.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Hi ehsanhami,
Note that SeismoStruct v2018 will feature more than 10 new steel double sections.
Regards,
Seismosoft Support
ehsanhami

Post by ehsanhami »

thank you very much
but until then what could we do?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

The only solution is to use rigid links to connect the two members. If you feel that the rigid links at the two ends are not enough, you could subdivide the member in 4-5 segments, employ the infrmDB element type and connect both the member ends and the mid-nodes with rigid links.
Seismosoft Support
ehsanhami

Post by ehsanhami »

Thank you very much

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”