Modeling boundary elements using Ushaped element.

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
sh.hosseinzadeh

Modeling boundary elements using Ushaped element.

Post by sh.hosseinzadeh »

Hi,

I would like to model a U-shaped wall using Reinforced Concrete U-shaped Wall section with boundary elements. Unfortunately, the software does not have the capability to consider the boundary element thickness. So, how can one model a U-shaped wall with boundary elements using the built-in section? Is there any possible approach except using RC U-shaped wall section?

Regards
seismosoft

Re: Modeling boundary elements using Ushaped element.

Post by seismosoft »

Several wall members should be inserted in order to model a compound wall. According to recent research, the best way to subdivide non-planar wall systems (e.g. U-shaped or Z-shaped walls) into planar subsections is by splitting the corner area according to the following publications:
Beyer, K., Dazio, A., and Priestley, M.J.N. [2008] "Seismic design of torsionally eccentric buildings with U-shaped RC walls," ROSE School, Pavia, Italy.
Beyer, K., Dazio, A., and Priestley, M.J.N. [2008] "Inelastic Wide-Column Models for U-Shaped Reinforced Concrete Walls," Journal of Earthquake Engineering 12:Sp1, 1-33.
Beyer, K., Dazio, A., and Priestley, M.J.N.[2008] "Elastic and inelastic wide-column models for RC non rectangular walls," Proceedings of the fortieth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China

Seismosoft Support
sh.hosseinzadeh

Post by sh.hosseinzadeh »

Thanks for your reply. I would like to know how can I connect these walls to make a compound wall? should I utilize rigid links or rigid diaphragms? which element is suggested for modeling boundary elements?

Regards
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear sh.hosseinzadeh,

The wall sections that are combined to create a U-shaped wall are automatically connected with rigid links. You do not have to add any element. You should just insert the elements in the Building Modeller and the SeismoBuild will automatically generate the necessary rigid links. Please note that in order to be properly connected the inserted elements they should have at least one common point.
Wall members with different thickness at the pseudo-columns are not available in the current version . You may approximate such a wall in the current version by inserting a wall section with the required reinforcement at its whole length (you should probably remove the additional reinforcement from the pseudo-columns width (edges)) and inserting columns with the required dimensions and reinforcement to model the boundary elements.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”