SMA relocation in plastic hinge region

01-Installation of new versions
AshwiniAmbadasParde

SMA relocation in plastic hinge region

Post by AshwiniAmbadasParde »

I am doing a project on seismic performance of RC frame using SMA at plastic hinges of the frames. For this purpose I am using Static Pushover analaysis and Incremental Dynamic Analysis.
Can you please help me to know how to locate SMA over a plastic hinge region in seismostruct. I refereed seismostruct manual & videos also, but not understand.

Your help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you
seismosoft

Re: SMA relocation in plastic hinge region

Post by seismosoft »

What do you mean how to locate SMA over a plastic hinge region in seismostruct?
The identification of the formation of the plastic hinges is done visually in the post-processor, in the deformed shape. Is this what you are looking? If not, you will need to be a bit more specific.
Also, please try to make one post for each issue that you facing. We try to address all posts in the forum.
Note that we have deleted your other post on the same issue.
Regards,
AshwiniAmbadasParde

I want to apply the properties of SMA in plastic hinge region and rest I want steel...

Sorry for inconvenience...
AshwiniAmbadasParde

Hello Sir/Mam,

I want to apply properties of SMA in plastic region & rest i want steel. For this I have little bit queries.
Is it possible, length of plastic hinges coincide with SMA material...???

For this I was trying define a material properties of SMA & section. Later moving toward element class choose infrmFBPH (for steel section).

Will you please guide me for a rest procedure to locate SMA in plastic region?

Your help will be greatly helpful for me
Thank You
AshwiniAmbadasParde

I was tried several times , but not get exact solution.
For implementation of SMA in plastic region only, I was subdivide the element & locate SMA over both end of the element.
But there no accepted results obtain, plastic hinges also occurred also at that small subdived region.

Please give me solution over it.
I am waiting your reply.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear AshwiniAmbadasParde,

If you want to apply different material types in different sections within the same element then you have to subdivide it. The section's discretization is helpful for assigning different reinforcement in different sections of the same element.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
AshwiniAmbadasParde

Sir, I was done it bye two ways but not get solution over it.

(1) Firstly, I was choosen infrmFB element class. In different multiple sections i was selected materials (SMA & Steel) , but because of different reinforcement it was not selected. (How to select section's discretization??)

(2) 2ndly, I was subdivided element in foor equal parts & use SMA over plastic hinge region but in deformed shape viewer plastic hinges shown over small subdivided part also.

Please give me solution over it
Thank U
AshwiniAmbadasParde

In section's discretization, because of different material properties, it won't selected multiple section for discretization.

How I apply SMA over that small region of plastic hinges with rest element is steel?
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear AshwiniAmbadasParde,

As I have already informed you in my previous post, if you want to apply different material types in different sections within the same element then you have to subdivide it.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
AshwiniAmbadasParde

Yes Sir, I am tried this way also. But In post processor (deformed shape viewer), plastic hinges occouring at that small subdivided region and rest of steel material also. (I subdivided element in four parts, at each subdivided part plastic hinge will occur).
Is it safe, Sir??

Thank you for reply...

Return to “01-Installation of new versions”