Error Reading Real Accelerogram

03-Unexpected behaviour/errors
kbveres

Error Reading Real Accelerogram

Post by kbveres »

In the "Real Accelerogram Adjustment" calculation method, the software is able to handle up to 20,000 time/acceleration data pairs. However, when more than 20,000 data pairs are entered, the plot produced is extremely wrong compared to what it should be. Enter any real accelerogram containing over 20,000 data pairs to reproduce and see this error. Please advise if the software needs to be updated to fix this issue.
huffte

Re: Error Reading Real Accelerogram

Post by huffte »

Hi kbveres.

I do not observe this behavior on my installation of SeismoArtif. I successfully loaded an accelerogram consisting of over 32000 data pairs.

I am running Windows 7.

Can you double check that you specified the correct first line, last line, time step, and check box when you defined the accelerogram?
Tim Huff
kbveres

Post by kbveres »

I double checked all inputs and they are correct. First line is 1, last line is 23995, time step size is 0.0012 seconds, and the accelerations are a sine function of the time value. In my plot, the acceleration at 0 seconds starts at 24 G and ramps up to about 28 G at ~4.8 seconds, then drops down and follows the sine curve. Around 24 seconds, it again ramps up to 24 G and continues up to 28 G. It is ridiculous, and very wrong. I cannot figure out why it keeps producing this error. It is only for accelerograms that consist of more than 20,000 data pairs.
huffte

Post by huffte »

If you will send me your input accelerogram I will see if I can reproduce the problem kbveres.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear kbveres,

We can confirm that there is indeed a bug in the software, which we will now try to address with the maximum of urgencies.

We thank you for bringing this problem up to our attention, and apologise for any inconvenience that this defect will have caused.

Thanks again,

Seismosoft Support
huffte

Post by huffte »

I created an input accelerogram file with 23995 lines, a sine wave, and a time step of 0.0012 seconds.

I still could not reproduce the error. Everything looks fine on my system.

I am running SeismoArtif version 2.1.0, build 200.

Is the erroneous reading of large accelerograms peculiar to particular versions of SeismoArtif, particular operating systems, etc . . .?

I'm still curious as to why I am unable to reproduce the error.

Thanks very much, kbveres and seismosoft.
Tim Huff
kbveres

Post by kbveres »

I too am running Seismosoft version 2.1.0, build 200. I was also wondering if the machine may have something to do with it? I am running Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1. What about you, huffte?
huffte

Post by huffte »

My hardware and operating system specification is given below.

Windows 7 Professonial
Service Pack 1

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz
6 GB RAM
Tim Huff

Return to “03-Unexpected behaviour/errors”