adaptive pushover

02-Getting started with the modelling
gabriel

adaptive pushover

Post by gabriel »

Hi!

First of all, I am a beginner in using SeismoStruct. I have made a static adaptive pushover analysis and the loading profile is not updated. When I see the deformed shape, for different steps, the following message appears on the right side: Loading profile not updated.
Can you help me with a suggestion?
at.farantos

Re: adaptive pushover

Post by at.farantos »

This could happen either because of low value for update frequency parameter (which is defined in Adaptive Pushover Advanced Settings module) or because of convergence failure in eigenvalue analysis.
In the first case you should adjust this parameter, while in the other case you should first perform eigenvalue analysis for your model and check if there is convergence.
Stelios_Antoniou

Post by Stelios_Antoniou »

at.farantos means a high rather than a low value for update frequency parameter. Set the update frequency to 1 (to be updated at every step)
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Many thanks for the reply.
I check both, the convergence in eigenvalue analysis (the convergence is achieved) and the update frequency (is set to 1).
Can be other reason for not updating the load profile? If is possible I can give you my .spf file.
Stelios_Antoniou

Post by Stelios_Antoniou »

Gabriel, you cannot use automatic response control with adaptive pushover, due to the incompatibility between the constantly updating loading patterns of adaptive pushover, and the automatic change of the control DOF in automatic response control.
Employ load or response control instead.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Gabriel,

We looked into your model, and noticed that it is a base-isolated structure, and thus wonder what is it exactly that you are trying to achieve by running a pushover analysis on a base isolated structure?

If you wish to assess the nonlinear static capacity of the non-isolated structure, you should take the isolation system out of your model. Instead, if you wish to assess the dynamic response of the isolated building, then you should run nonlinear dynamic analysis.

Seismosoft Support

PS: we would also suggest the use of Displacement-based Adaptive Pushover, as opposed to its force-based counterpart, and perhaps the selection of 'x' as the only mass dof, but these are obviously modelling choices of the user.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Thank you for responding me!

I made another model without base isolation and is working now.
leminhtrispkt

Post by leminhtrispkt »

First of all, I am a beginner in using SeismoStruct. My model the same problem "load pattern not updated". Please check help me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q65gj9we1jmiy ... e.spf?dl=0
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

The message that you get means that it is not possible for the program to update the lateral forces pattern in adaptive pushover.
This occurs typically in the descending branch of the capacity curve. Try using a Response Control type in the Phases module, rather than the Automatic Response Control.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”