SHEAR WALL MODELLING

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
RiccardoRossi

SHEAR WALL MODELLING

Post by RiccardoRossi »

Dear SeimoStruct users,
I should model a complex structure provided with L and U-shaped shear wall.
Firstly, I made an attempt of modelling on a simple L-shaped shear wall in order to understand its behaviour.
I modelled the shear wall by means of two equivalent column frames (one for the short side of the L and one for the long side) connecting them together with by a rigid link at each floor. Moreover, al lateral force of 15kN was applied at each floor.
Subsequently, I modelled the same L-shaped shear wall in SAP2000 by shell elements. I noticed that shear force is distributed along the two L web differently between SAP2000 and SeismoStruct.
Since in my building I have some shear walls of complex geometry (like G-shaped wall), I would like to ask you which is the best solution to solve this force distribution problem.
And also if in your opinion is better to model the shear wall by a unique frame element.

Thanks for the attention.
seismosoft

Re: SHEAR WALL MODELLING

Post by seismosoft »

If you expect significant inelasticity in your model, the use of fibre-based uniaxial frame models is necessary.
The choice of a single or more frame elements depends on the relative size of the parts of the wall. If you have a large wall in one direction with just a small part in the other, probably a single element is preferable. If instead you have large wall parts in both horizontal directions, the use of more than one rectangular elements that are connected with rigid links is better.
Seismosoft Support
obaidullah khan

Post by obaidullah khan »

hello
I did static POA and NLTHA of my 4 story RC structure the building is stiff in Y direction while having too much displacement in X direction so I provided shear wall in x-Dir but after analysis the building has still that much displacement its mean shear wall is not contributing its role. what might be the reason? I have selected RC rec wall section, restrained the shear wall to adjacent column and control node of story through rigid link(x+y+z+rx+ry+rz).have seen model RC building with shear wall(structure 18,19 28 )on seismosoft website fallow there points but still got the same problem. Can anyone guide please...
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

You might get a better insight of the connectivity of your model by running eigenvalue analysis. In this way you can confirm that the shear wall is well connected to the rest of the structural model.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”