Links in RC joint

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
mhrnsr1994

Links in RC joint

Post by mhrnsr1994 »

Hi seismosoft
I am modeling a RC joint using seismostruct just like the model of joint 3 in chapter 4 of verification report, but the program is not recognizing takeda constitutive model in the directions i used takeda in my link elements and they are consumed linear. I understood this when i replaced the takeda model with lin_sym in my model and after analysis, the results were the same for the file i modeled using takeda and for the one using lin_sym.
can you tell me were the problem is?
thanks
huffte

Re: Links in RC joint

Post by huffte »

mhrnsr1994, I wonder if the loading is such that the Takeda links never 'yield', in which case the results would be identical to those obtained using a lin_sym link? It may not be the case, but this is the first thing which comes to mind in resolving whether or not there is a problem. Best of luck in your work.
Tim Huff
usamauet8

Post by usamauet8 »

Hello, I have a question regarding the input parameters in multi linear curve for RC joint. Instead of parameters like EI, cracking moment, yield moment etc, can I put parameters like GJ, shear at cracking moment and, shear at yield moment? if yes then do I have to change settings regarding the input parameters or can I put the data right away? I
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Yes you can use the curve in any of the DOFs of the link element type.
However, note that the default parameters were defined for the flexural behaviour of a typical section, hence you will probably have to work the correct values of the parameters yourself, or with your supervisor.
Seismosoft Support
usamauet8

Post by usamauet8 »

Thank You for your prompt answer.
1. Are the default values of "specific parameters" like HC, HBE, HBD etc. in multi linear curves decided for flexural behavior as well? Or can I use the same default values in case I want to enter the shear behavior data?
2. I am a little confused about the "post Yield Stiffness as the % of elastic EI3P" Does that mean the ratio of post yield stiffness to elastic stiffness?
Usama Ali
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

1. Yes, the values are for flexure. The shear behavior is different, hence you should not use the default values
2. Yes

Seismosoft Support
usamauet8

Post by usamauet8 »

Hello, I am modelling a Beam Column Joint in Seismostruct and using Takeda link element as my bar slip link. I am having understanding the input parameters in takada i.e Fy, Ky alpha etc. I read takeda paper as well but could not find anything there. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Have you read the Appendix on the response curves in the program manual? There is a detailed description of all the input parameters.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”