Stirrups

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
pop4ti

Stirrups

Post by pop4ti »

Dear All,

I want to model a non seismic designed RC frame, so I do not want to close the stirrups (which is the default option in SeismoStruct). Is there a possible way to do that?

Thank you,
huffte

Re: Stirrups

Post by huffte »

Hi pop4ti. I believe that you could investigate the use of one of two strategies.

1. Employ a concrete material model with the confinement factor manually set equal to 1.0 (in the section property definition) since the open stirrups would not provide the auto-computed confining effect. In this alternative, you would input the actual stirrup area and spacing so that shear capacity is more accurate.

2. Employ the usual concrete material model with confinement auto-computed in the section property definition. In this case you would specify very small stirrups at a very large spacing to effectively do away with the confining effect. In this case, you would manually enter (again in the section property definition) the true shear capacity since the specified stirrup steel is artificially small at an artificially high spacing to emulate the lack of confinement provided by the open stirrups. The artificial stirrups would invalidate auto-capacity calculations for shear.

You may also wish to investigate the use of the trilinear concrete model (con_tl) with properties set to emulate unconfined concrete.

It would be interesting to see how these alternatives compare. It would be interesting to hear other alternatives from forum users as well.

Best of luck, pop4ti.
Tim Huff
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear pop4ti,

I would like to add that you may deselect the check box for stirrups closed at 135 degrees, available in the Section Characteristics module within the Section's Properties.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
pop4ti

Post by pop4ti »

Thank you very much for your valuable help.

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”