Static Pushover analysis

02-Getting started with the modelling
morteza.tahmasbi

Static Pushover analysis

Post by morteza.tahmasbi »

Hi there
assuming I have chosen force type Incremental load, how is the value of incremental load determined? And how should I calculate value of displacement if displacement method is selected?
how is the base nominal shear calculated?
in example ch2-12 (eigenvalue analysis example) there is a vertical incremental load acting on nodes 02 and 03, what is incremental gravity load? shoud i define any loads for eigenvalue analysis? (while eigenvalue analysis is a free vibration per se)
z.gronti

Re: Static Pushover analysis

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Morteza,

Please consult the SeismoStruct User Manual for more information about the incremental loads and the assigned value for the target displacement. I think that Tutorial N.1 in User Manual might prove helpful.

Thank you for your note regarding Ch2-12 example. The incremental loads do not participate in the eigenvalue analysis, hence they do not affect the results. The permanent loads may be used in the Eigenvalue analysis only to derive masses, if a relevant option has been chosen in the Project Settings > Gravity & Mass module.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
morteza.tahmasbi

Post by morteza.tahmasbi »

Thanks for your help, I have read the manuals and related articles on the internet, in running pushover analyses by SAP2000 or Etabs you do not have to specify incremental nodal loads(just defining lateral load pattern and the software distributes them automatically). but in Seismostruct you define a "nominal base shear" and distribute it among nodes by either uniform or triangular pattern (Nodal loads value). my question is that how you define the nominal base shear and how is the proportion of every single node specified? i did not find any details pertaining my question in the manuals so I will be grateful if you could help me with it.
Best regards
ruipinho

Post by ruipinho »

Dear morteza tahmasbi,

The nominal base shear is an arbitrary value; if you choose 1, 100 or 10000 kN, the pushover results will actually not change (since the load increment will adapt itself accordingly).

For what concerns the load proportion at each node (i.e. the load pattern), this is your choice, as a user, and it will depend on what pushover pattern you wish to use (e.g. proportional to first mode, proportion to mass, proportion to all modes combined with SRSS, etc etc).

Best,

Rui
Imaddam

Post by Imaddam »

Dear Rui,
when running the Tutorial , SeismoBuilt start preparing retrieving data , and an out of range message appear.
Is this being fixed or I problem is how am running the program?
thank you,
Imad
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Imaddam,

Could you please install the current version of the program (SeismoBuild 2016 Release-1 build-20) and let us know if you get the same error message?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Imaddam

Post by Imaddam »

Thanks , it works .
When producing the report , a black block is shown at the model 3D prints.
Imad 8-)
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

It is because you display other widnows on top of SeismoBuild, while the report is being created. when you create the report, do not change focus from SeismoBuild to other programs.
Best Regards,
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”