Earthquake time history processing

02-Analytical capabilities
aiswaryamenon

Earthquake time history processing

Post by aiswaryamenon »

Hello,
I have the acceleration time history from which I have to get the velocity and displacement time history so as to get PGV and PGD. For some of the earthquake records that Iam having the PGV and PGD values as well as response obtained from seismosignal is very much different from what I should get . So can somebody suggest me what all points should be considered for processing acceleration time history to minimize the noise in the obtained velocity and displacement time histories . How to select the frequency range in which filter has to be applied for noise removal by seeing the acceleration , velocity , displacement time histories obtained by integration and double integration or fourier amplitude spectrum ? How to identify the low frequency noise region in the earthquake time histories?

Thanks and regards
Aiswarya
seismosoft

Re: Earthquake time history processing

Post by seismosoft »

Aiswaryamenon hi,

If you want to remove the noise, you should apply filtering. Maybe you would need to apply baseline correction too. These are set at the first tab and by default they are deactivated. For typical cases, the default filtering values should work fine.
Make sure that the results from SeismoSignal and results, against which you compare SeismoSignal, have been created having the same filtering and baseline correction parameters.

Seismosoft Support
aiswaryamenon

Re: Earthquake time history processing

Post by aiswaryamenon »

Thank you for the reply . I am trying to get the response according to "Smooth response spectra for horizontal and vertical ground motions" by P.K.Malhotra ( 2006) . I want to know more about determination of frequency range where noise exists in the acceleration , velocity and displacement spectrum so as to eliminate that frequency range using filter. Can somebody suggest standard references related to this ?

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”