pushover frame elements shear force

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
zthaer

pushover frame elements shear force

Post by zthaer »

dear all;
i need your immediate help since i m pushing the structure in y direction but i found the shear forces in the opposite direction are high even larger than the y- direction,
the attached photo ,
any help;
Thaer;
huffte

Re: pushover frame elements shear force

Post by huffte »

There seems to be no image posted, Thaer. I wonder if you might be able to elaborate with discussion or images or the model? Without some more details, I am afraid it is impossible to try and pinpoint the problem.
Tim Huff
zthaer

Post by zthaer »

dear Tim;
check your email
best;
Thaer;
huffte

Post by huffte »

The model appears to be highly unsymmetrical, zthaer. The consequence of this is that loads in the y-direction can produce substantial deformations in the x-direction, and vice versa. The particular column you chose to analyze is a wall column, 7 meters in the global x-direction and 30 cm in the global y-direction. Thus, this column is (7/.3)^2 = 544 times as stiff in the global x-direction as in the global y-direction. Even a small deformation in the x-direction would thus produce the large shears reported.

If you will select a square column with equal stiffness in both global horizontal directions, you will find that the global y-shear is indeed much larger than the global x-shear, as expected. Though in rare cases with very extreme eccentricity of stiffness, it would not be unheard of for a y-push to result in larger x-deformations.
Tim Huff
zthaer

Post by zthaer »

dear Tim;
for the same problem, i found that many elements reached the shear capacity which seems not reliable. i considered a (0.3*1)m beam, the software give me a capacity of 165kN , I'm really lost by that.
please any help.

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”