Integer Overflow issue?

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
sh.hosseinzadeh

Integer Overflow issue?

Post by sh.hosseinzadeh »

I have modeled and applied cyclic loading on a reinforced masonry building in seismo-struct 2016 release 6 build 1 on Academic License, but while I am trying to run my model it keeps showing "Integer Overflow" and the software stops working. I am curious about the source of the error. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
Here is the link to the model if needed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/woti0gof62kz1 ... 1.spf?dl=0
huffte

Re: Integer Overflow issue?

Post by huffte »

The problem seems to be in the unusually dimensioned sections W6-1* and W6-2*. I noted that the error occurred just after the status line (lower left hand corner) showed checking W6-2. So I immediately suspected a problem with the next section, W6-1*. I only mention this to give you a tip on debugging models in the future.

The flange thicknesses are extremely thin for these 2 sections. All other sections are rectangular, non-flanged.

It may be that the cover and thickness combinations specified for these two element classes will not support the specified longitudinal and transverse bar sizes. I suspect that this is the case. In other words, the flange is so thin that the reinforcement you have specified will not physically fit in the space provided.

I changed the W6-1* and W6-2* elements to have W6-2 properties and the model runs fine. Double check the specified dimensions for the flanged rectangular sections. With the small thickness values you have specified, you may as well neglect the flanges and input them as rectangular sections, unless the input is in error and the actual flanges are significantly thicker than currently specified..

Best of luck, sh.hosseinzadeh.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Re: Integer Overflow issue?

Post by seismosoft »

Hi sh.hosseinzadeh,

This is a know issue and will be fixed in the upcoming SeismoStruct version. It is related with the fact that the section longitudinal reinforcement patterns are not loaded correctly in files from previous releases, e.g. v7. In order to fix it go to the Sections module and edit the longitudinal patterns (Edit Reinforcement Pattern) in all your sections, setting the number of rebars to zero in all cases. This will solve the problem and make the analysis run.

Regards,
Seismosoft Support

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”