Stiffnes/period of infilled frame

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
MarTgr88

Stiffnes/period of infilled frame

Post by MarTgr88 »

Hi,

how the program takes into account stiffness of the infill panel? Is it defined through Panel thickness t and Strut Area 1? Does the program considers infill as 1, 2 or 4 diagonal struts when it calculates period of the infilled frame? Is Strut Area 1 area of the 1, 2 or 4 diagonal struts?

Thank you!
MarTgr88

Re: Stiffnes/period of infilled frame

Post by MarTgr88 »

Is it possible that seismosoft team can't answer this question?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

MarTgr88 hi,
You may find detailed information on the infill panel element both in the Users Manual and the help of the program, as well as in the corresponding references.
-how the program takes into account stiffness of the infill panel? Is it defined through Panel thickness t and Strut Area 1?
Yes, it is through the area of the diagonal strut and the inf_strut curve

-Does the program considers infill as 1, 2 or 4 diagonal struts when it calculates period of the infilled frame?
As explained in the help, 4 diagonal struts are considered

Is Strut Area 1 area of the 1, 2 or 4 diagonal struts?
It is the area activated in one diagonal of the infill, i.e. it corresponds to 2 struts.
Seismosoft Support
MarTgr88

Post by MarTgr88 »

Thank you for your answer.

I am asking because I was wondering if I make the same frame, but one with your element for infill and second one with the just one truss in the diagonal will I get the same natural period? And I didn't. Then I have tried to modify area of the truss to get the same period, but i couldn't get reasonable relation.

According to your explanation if I assign the truss in the diagonal of the frame with the half of the Strut Area 1 (which I have assigned to the infill panel elements) I should get the same natural period of the infilled frame. But I am not getting that result and I am using the same E for material for truss and for infill panel.

Can you help us with this?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

No we did not mean that. The infill panel element is a complicated element, and the total number of struts is 6, 4 for compression/tension in the diagonal and 2 for shear. There is no easy way to achieve a correspondence a single truss element. Please refer to the help system and the literature for more information.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”