simple question

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Violet.de

simple question

Post by Violet.de »

I am trying to learn SeismoStruct. I created one of the vetrification models of the program. When I want to control the input time history, I see that in the verification model, vertical axis is acceleration, but for mine is load factor. I was trying to edit my axis name, but it was not impossible. My results is different with the results of the verification report, therefore, I want to sure that the defined time history is true. Could you please explain that why the name of these vertical axis are different? (first picture extracted from Example. Chepter4-RC-01, the second picture is for my model)
seismosoft

Re: simple question

Post by seismosoft »

Could it be that you not are running dynamic time-history analysis, but rather static history analysis?

Seismosoft Support
Violet.de

Post by Violet.de »

No, they are the same.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

In dynamic time-history analysis, the linear curves are referred to as 'acceleration' time histories.
In static history analysis, the linear curves are referred to as 'load factor' time histories.
Seismosoft Support
Violet.de

Post by Violet.de »

They are dynamic time history both!
Violet.de

Post by Violet.de »

see this: Is it clear that the analysis is dynamic, but vertical axis is "load factor", not acceleration:

huffte

Post by huffte »

It seems that the initial accelerogram defined during creation of a model with the wizard is the only one which will have the y-axis labelled "acceleration". If I add accelerograms using either "Load" or "Create" in the "Time History Curves" tab, I do indeed get the behavior noted by Violet.de. I can change the axis title by right-clicking and selecting graphic options, but the title reverts to "load factor" once I close the plot and re-open (the new title does not get saved).
Tim Huff
Violet.de

Post by Violet.de »

Dera Tim Huff,
My model is created based building modeler. I only define one curve, but vertical axis is load factor. Infact, I think it may be has effect on my results, because I'm trying to verify the model based a experimental model, but results are not match.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Hi Violet and Tim,
Although we appreciate the confusion caused, the issue is just a matter of the label. It does not affect the results whatsoever.
The defined curve is then multiplied with the load factor in the Applied Loads module, where the type of loading (acceleration or force) is also defined.
Regards,
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”