an element with a plastic hinge at the bottom

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Ahil_Anand

Re: an element with a plastic hinge at the bottom

Post by Ahil_Anand »

How can I determine the percent of residual strenth in performance criteria tab? I should define them based on "try and error" method?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Probably yes, However, note that this is a forum for the use of Seismosoft's programs.
You should better discuss these technical issues with your supervisor.

Seismosoft Support
Ralazem

Post by Ralazem »

The questions being asked are reasonable. Since the only way to apparently model shear failure is visa the shear criterion.. it is reasonable to ask how to know when it occurs, since the software is supposed to help us predict it!
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Not sure that we understand what you mean Ralazem.
The program automatically carries out shear checks at every step of the analysis, taking into consideration the state of the member and all the factors that affect the shear strength at that step, i.e. axial load, depth of compression zone, the Lv=M/V ratio etc. When the failure occurs, the program notifies the user, whereas one can also check the shear checks of all members at every step from the Code-based Checks and Performance Criteria page of the post-processor (demand, capacity and performance ratio = demand/capacity). In this way you know exactly when shear failure occurs.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”