Scaling on SeismoMatch

02-Analytical capabilities
perer

Scaling on SeismoMatch

Post by perer »

Greetings.

I'm scaling some records, and i was wondering if there is a way of
'scaling' records with seismomatch without 'adjusting/matching'?

thank you!

seismosoft

Re: Scaling on SeismoMatch

Post by seismosoft »

Dear perer,

We are not sure we have understood your query (can you not simply use SeismoSignal?), but you can always define a close-to-nil period range and/or very large tolerance, in order to avoid any matching from taking place.

Seismosoft Support
kovacsma

Post by kovacsma »

I would like to recall this discussion, as I am also interested in using SeismoMatch to simply scale --- a very common practice with ground motions, in order to scale to code defined response spectra.

Can it be done with SeismoSoft software at all?
huffte

Post by huffte »

You can create your own scaling in Excel by pasting in data from SeismoSpect. There are different ways in the literature to compute scale factors, but they are all fairly straightforward and usually based on the geometric mean of two components. A web search on ground motion scaling will probably overwhelm you with adequate references. So Seismo is good for loading multiple pairs and generating the individual spectra, but the geomean and the scale factors need to be computed externally. This would be a nice feature to have, I agree.
Tim Huff
kovacsma

Post by kovacsma »

Thanks Tim,

In particular, I'm looking to scale the whole spectra linearly, so that the spectra between 0.2T1 and 1.5T1 are equal to, or exceed the code defined spectrum. I can give this a go with Excel and SeismoMatch anyways. I know it can be done if I make my own script in Matlab, but it kind of shocks me that this particular scaling technique is not embedded in software like SeismoMatch -- or really just about any other software (I've spent too much time googling for something...).

Cheers,

Mike

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”