a shift in the PGA time

02-Analytical capabilities
Navid

a shift in the PGA time

Post by Navid »

Making a comparison between the original and matched acceleration records would defo reveal a shift in the PGA time. How is the said shift supposed to be explained using the response spectrum matching procedure?

Thanks a bunch!

Navid
huffte

Re: a shift in the PGA time

Post by huffte »

As mentioned in the help system, SeismoMatch uses wavelet addition in the time domain to match target spectra. In some cases, the wavelets can be substantial. Particularly when the response spectrum of the ground motion is very different from the target spectrum in amplitude and shape. So it would not be unusual for the time at which the PGA occurs to shift significantly. You may have to delve into references on wavelet theory to get a more detailed answer and I will leave that up to you. Best of luck Navid.
Tim Huff
Navid

Post by Navid »

I will defo go through the references; nonetheless, is there any chance that I would have a reference spelling out the said method in plain language inasmuch as I am in the middle of prepping a report having a strict deadline?

Thanks heaps
huffte

Post by huffte »

Why not simply plot the acceleration, velocity, and displacement histories of the original and matched records? In particular, the displacement history of the original record overlain with the matched record will make it clear where wavelets were added and how much difference there exists between the two records. These plots are immediately available in SeismoMatch.
Tim Huff

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”