create accelerograms

02-Analytical capabilities
sarah

create accelerograms

Post by sarah »

Hi,
I want to create an accelerogram which respect the indication of EC8,or with total duration of at least 25 s, with the center 10 s long and preceded by a portion of 5 s and followed by a portion of 10 s.
I can??
I have to use the program SeismoSpect or SeismoSignal?

thanks
huffte

Re: create accelerograms

Post by huffte »

Hi sarah. SeismoSpect will analyze existing accelerograms. SeismoMatch will modify existing accelerograms to match a target spectrum. So you could define your EC8 spectrum, acquire some real recorded records of ground motion, and modify them to match the EC8 spectrum. I don't believe you will be able to control the pre- and post- ramp times or the significant duration. If you had a real record with the ramp and duration characteristics you desire, that might be worth a try with SeismoMatch though.

As far as generating artificial accelerograms, I do not believe that the Seismosoft packages have that capability.

You might try TARSCTH or RSCTH (Response Spectrum Compatible Time Histories)or SGMS, all available at SUNY:

http://civil.eng.buffalo.edu/EngSeisLab/products.htm

They are freely available and quite easy to use. I have had much success with each, particularly RSCTH and SGMS. There are other freely available ground motion simulation packages out there as well.

If anyone has knowledge that the SeismoSoft packages can do this and I have missed it, please chime in. I could use this feature as well.

I hope this helps sarah.
Tim Huff
sarah

Post by sarah »

thanks!!! [:)]
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear huffte,

A few years back, we started the coding of a software package to generate artificial accelerograms through stochastic processes, but then stopped and decided to instead concentrate on spectrum-matching of real records, which we feel to be a slightly more robust approach.

We realise now, however, that there may be cases where the need to generate an artificial record may still persist, and we will thus restart the development of such a software package.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”