Viscous Damper

02-Getting started with the modelling
irajtoloue

Viscous Damper

Post by irajtoloue »

Dear Sir/Madam
I'm very fresh in Seismostruct. I have tried to have a comparison between structures with and without damper in this software. Based on my studying (help of the software and searching on net) I'm sure that it can analyse a structure with viscous damper. The problem here is that I cannot model this damper.
Previously, I worked with SAP2000;it's easy there. Just enough to define a damper and assign it into your element.

May you please help me that how can I define and model viscous damper in RC frame structures(step by step please)?

Thanks a lot
Stelios_Antoniou

Re: Viscous Damper

Post by Stelios_Antoniou »

In SeismoStruct, you can add damping in a model with one of the following ways:
1) Adding damping to the entire structure from the Project Settings, tab Damping
2) Adding damping to specific element classes (Damping button in the element classes module)
3) Adding a viscous damping element. Define the class and add the element in the element connectivity module
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear irajtoloue,

The viscous damper element in SeismoStruct is a single-node element adequate for modelling of a linear dashpot fixed to the ground.

As discussed in the Help System (Element Classes -> Damping Element), in particular in the Notes at the bottom of the page, you should use 'Link' elements (with an appropriate response curve, e.g. 'bl_kin' for steel hysteretic dampers) to model non ground-fixed dampers.

Seismosoft Support
farid

Post by farid »

Dear team
How can I modelling visco elastic damper in seismostruct?
please help me.
yours sincerely
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Either using the dashpt element type or with a link element with an appropriate hysteretic curve.
Seismosoft Support
farid

Post by farid »

thank you.
Which hysteric curve should I use?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

We cannot recommend a specific curve, This is something you should discuss with your supervisor.
Seismosoft Support
farid

Post by farid »

Isn't it a special and costant curve for viscoelastic dampers?
bahawise

Post by bahawise »

Farid

it can be various hysteretic responses according to the damper's characteristics. in order to model such dampers, i recommend using ''bl_kin'' as i used according to the result of static test which I've done in the Lab. for instance I obtained Qy=130 kN and Dy=5 mm.

Baha
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Thanks for the contribution Bahawise!

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”