modelling a masonry structural system

02-Getting started with the modelling
wfperezg

modelling a masonry structural system

Post by wfperezg »

Dear Support:

I'm trying to model a building with mansory sructural system, if it is posible, How I must configure the infill panel (mansory) to carry vertical loads from beams and slabs.

Please, I appreciate you help me.

Thanks
ruipinho

Re: modelling a masonry structural system

Post by ruipinho »

Hi wfperezg,

To start with, I would suggest that you search the Forum for past discussions on this topic (remember to click 'Board Index', so that the entire Forum is searched, then type "masonry structures" in the 'Search...' box, and press 'Enter').

If you still have some doubts after that, do let me know.

Best,

Rui
wfperezg

Post by wfperezg »

Dear Rui:

I can understand that it is not posible to model reinforced mansory buildings with SeísmoStruct, however I'm trying to model no-reinforced mansory; in this case, How can I configure that infill panels resist gravitatory loads?. In the manual it's mentioned that it is possible defining loads like no-initial-loads. Please, Could you help me?. P.D. I have a student license.

Thanks a lot,
ruipinho

Post by ruipinho »

wfperezg, hi.

Reinforced masonry structures can actually be more readily modelled than their unreinforced counterparts, since the response of reinforced masonry elements tends to be of the flexural type, and hence more akin to the modelling through fibre elements.

Unreinforced masonry structures, on the contrary, develop all sorts of additional response mechanisms that are not necessarily straightforward to reproduce using the frame type of modelling approach that characterises SeismoStruct.

If one does really want/need to model this type of structures in SeismoStruct, one should first model the structure in an alternative structural analysis package that features the capability of modelling masonry structures (through brick, shell or equivalent frame elements), and then use the results of the latter to calibrate the equivalent frame in SeismoStruct.

The infill panel elements, on the other hand, will be of little or no use in such endeavour, since they have been specifically developed to model infill panels in framed strcutures, rather than the structural components of an unreinforced masonry structure.

Rui

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”